A plate of chowder soup is a very perfect way to warm up, satisfy your taste buds and elevate your mood. And it's even better when it's a perfect recipe for chowder such as corn chowder. This Chowder remains one of my favorite chowders because it is delicious and almost gluten-free.
What Is Corn Chowder?
Corn chowder is a type of chowder soup variety that is prepared to make use of corn as the primary ingredient. Corn Chowder is primarily made of corn, yellow onion, green onions, celery, cream, milk, and butter(dairy-free).
Sometimes, additional ingredients used include fish, seafood, pork, potatoes, chicken, and olive oil.
Corn Chowder Recipe
Corn chowder is super tasty when it's made using sweet corn, preferably fresh sweet corn. The freshness of the corn makes the soup delicious, smells better, and tastes better.
Here are the recipes Used for making corn chowder. I love to call it my corn chowder recipe.
Prep time - 20 mins
1. Fresh Corn
Fresh corn that's still on the cob is the best. This is because it's better to utilize the corn kernels and the milk from the corn for a better taste. Another substitute for fresh corn could be; summer corn and frozen corn. Using fresh corn is however best, you need your corn kernels for your corn chowder recipe to be just perfect so you can achieve the perfect delicious and savory chowder taste.
You can make use of the red potatoes or the gold potatoes.
3. Veggies and Other Spices (for vegetable broth)
Onion - chopped, garlic - minced, salt pepper, cloves garlic -minced, cayenne pepper, bell pepper to taste, bay leaf, salt and pepper, fresh thyme, black pepper.
4 Corn stock
2 cups chicken broth for chicken stock.
1 cup heavy cream
1½cups of milk
You can also make use of dairy-free products.
Butter, 1 g saturated fat, smoked paprika, Bacon's.
1. Using a food processor, grind the onion - chopped, garlic - minced, salt pepper, cloves garlic -minced, cayenne pepper, bell pepper to taste, bay leaf, salt and pepper, fresh thyme, black pepper into a tough paste, and cook into a veggie broth. Ensure you cook under medium heat to avoid overcooking. These are major soup recipes.
2. Slice the corn kernels off the corn cob and set it aside.
3. Slice bacon into pieces and cook in an instant pot over medium-high heat. Cook for about ten minutes, or take out once the bacon is crisp.
4. Put a clean pot on the fire. Add butter. Melt butter and heat to medium. Ensure you melt butter properly.
5. Add the ground Onion - chopped, garlic - minced, salt pepper, cayenne pepper, bell pepper to taste, bay leaf, salt and pepper, fresh thyme, black pepper that has been cooked into a veggie broth. Stir gently and bring to a simmer. Cook time should not exceed 2 mins.
6. Under medium heat, add garlic and flour made with fresh bases and cook for about half a minute.
7. While whisking, pour in little water and increase heat to medium. Add potatoes, salt, thyme, pepper, and smoked paprika. Stir for some time and reduce heat to low.
8. Stir continuously until potatoes are fork-tender. Add the heavy cream, milk, and chicken.
9. Add in the reserved corn juice little by little. Stir again and heat for half a minute.
10. Serve sprinkled with cooked pieces of bacon, if needed.
Health Benefits Of Corn Chowder
1. Primary Source Of Carbohydrates.
Like all other cereal grains, corn is primarily composed of carbohydrates.
Starch which is its main carbohydrate comprises 25–85% of its dry mass. Corn also contributes trace amounts of sugar (about 4%)
Sweet corn (also known as the sugar corn, is a unique, low in starch variation with greater sugar content, at 19% of the dry mass. Most of the sugar content exists as sucrose.
Despite the amount of sugar content in sweet corn, it is not usually classified as a high-glycemic food, because it ranks low on the glycemic index.
The glycemic index is a criterion of how rapidly carbohydrates are absorbed. Foods that rate high on the glycemic index may cause a harmful rise in blood sugar. A health condition that is known as hyperglycemia.
Importance Of Carbohydrate To The Body.
- They are the main source of energy for the body.
- They help fuel the brain, heart muscles, kidneys, and the central nervous system.
- They aid in digestion.
- They keep cholesterol levels of the blood in check.
- They spare body proteins.
- They build body macromolecules.
2. Source Of Protein
Corn is also a good source of protein.
Hinging on the variety, the protein content ranges from 11–17%
Most of the abundant proteins in corn are referred to as zeins, estimating about 47–81% of the whole protein content.
Although, the protein value of zeins is poor because they require some essential amino acids.
Zeins are used industrially for the production of adhesives and inks. They are also used for coating pills.
Here are other functions of protein in the body,
- Important for growth and tissue maintenance.
- Causes biochemical responses.
- Provides structure for growth.
- Maintains adequate pH levels in the body.
- Serves as a balance for body fluids.
- Strengthens immune health.
3. Important Source Of Fiber.
Chowder made from corn is an important and healthy source of fiber.
Fiber is needed to keep the digestive system healthy. It also contributes to other functions of the body, such as steadying sugar and cholesterol levels.
The prominent fibers in corn are the insoluble ones, such as lignin, cellulose, and hemicellulose.
Are There Any Side Effects Of The Corn Chowder Meal?
Depends. This is because some people have allergies. If you experience any sort of negative side effects from eating corn chowder, you should consult a physician. Also, ensure that you are not allergic to any of the recipes used in making corn chowder.
Who Makes The Best Corn Chowder?
They have a 5-star marked recipe rating comment name and customers sing the praises of this award-winning recipe. They are a great corn chowder author, the splendid choice for weddings, showers, and any corporate event you might have. Feel free to contact them.
You'll be glad you enjoyed it.