For someone who’s a committed fanatic when it comes down to the best clam chowder recipe – who cannot but place an order daily, anywhere possible to get a creamy chowder to quench the longing on the inside, I’ll say the need for the best clam chowder recipe cannot in any way be overemphasized.
The best clam chowder is usually served with loaf bread (sourdough bread) per serving or presented in a bowl of bread with oyster crackers, fresh or dried thyme, and bacon as toppings and to make it taste delicious.
From a broad range of companies offering clam chowder, you’ll find Newport Chowder Company to supply the best recipes for you to make creamy and fresh clams.
Just so you know, the secret of having a delicious clam chowder is nothing else but fresh clams, and the most common places where you can easily spot fresh clams are areas that are close to the coast. In my opinion, I believe you can’t have a delicious clam chowder if all you could think of is just any creamy clam chowder.
If you reside in areas that are more inland, it might be difficult for you to spot this unique recipe that makes the best clam chowder. This means you have to do your homework well and for a company like Newport Chowder Company, getting a special recipe for the best clam won’t be much of a problem.
To get the best clam chowder, you should consider using the clams the same day you’re making the purchase. This is to ensure that the clam stays fresh, and has a briny smell. Improper storage would result in a fishy smell – not good enough to get delicious clam chowder.
Another way to have the best clam chowder is to ensure you wash the clams right before you use them. Below are few procedures to follow in keeping your clam squeaky clean:
Before you start preparing the best clam chowder recipe, ensure you inspect each shell. What you’re doing is that you’re checking for chips and cracks as openings can be an avenue for bacteria to invade the shell. If you find any shell open, give the clam a light tap with a spoon or any other similar kitchen utensil as this will cause the clam to close up tightly. What if the clam doesn’t close when tapped a little bit? Simple! Take it out to be disposed of.
• Mix 4 cups of water and one-third (1/3) cup of salt in a bowl.
• Having conducted the clam tap test, only put clams that scaled the inspection into the bowl.
• Put the bowl in a refrigerator for about 20 minutes, then transfer the clams into another (clean) bowl with an equal mixture of salt and water.
• Repeat the process by refrigerating for another 20 minutes. This is to ensure that you get rid of the dirt trapped in the clam and if during this process you have any clam afloat rather than settling down the bottom of the bowl, set aside
• Take out the clams from the water, but don’t attempt to pour them into a strainer as this can contaminate the clams. Make sure you use a slotted spoon or your hands
• To crown it all, brush the shell with a leafy green brush to take out the remaining stains.
By now you should have fresh clams, ready to make the best clam chowder. Ingredients like black pepper and chicken stock can be added later on.
Can canned clams make the best clam chowder recipe?
If getting a fresh clam chowder recipe sounds overwhelming to you, not to worry, you can also make clam chowder with canned clams. The only difference is that you get a better taste and texture using fresh clams than cans of clams. You don't have to worry about that if all you want is a dish of clam chowder.
To make preparation, ¾ cup of canned clams will be chopped. You can as well keep the juice in the cans of clams as it can serve as a recipe (clam flavor).
Preparing the best clam chowder recipe
Remember, the secret to having the best clam chowder is to make use of fresh clams. Just like having the traditional New England clam chowder recipes, the below procedure will help a great deal in making a clam chowder recipe.
Best Clam Chowder Recipe
If you follow this list, you'll definitely make a great recipe.
¾ cup butter melted
1 cup flour
1 cup celery finely diced
1 cup onions finely diced
1 or 2 cups leeks finely diced
1 bay leaf
3 cups red potatoes diced (use less for thinner clam chowder)
¾ tablespoon ground black pepper
1 ½ tablespoon salt
¾ tablespoon thyme
6 bay leaves
1 teaspoon dried thyme
3 cups chicken broth
¾ cup clam juice
2 cups of quarts half & half
¾ cup clams chopped, canned clams can also be used
1. Ensure you preheat your oven to be at 325 then you whisk melted butter and flour together in a baking dish until both combine. Bake the mixture for 25 to 30 minutes then set aside. Depending on what you want, you can until it’s crumbly and golden.
2. Add leeks, onions, celery with 1 or tablespoons of butter in a large pot. Cook on medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes. Alternatively, you can cook till it’s slightly transparent (while on medium heat).
3. Add renaming ingredients like salt and pepper to taste (ground black pepper) except for the initial mixture of butter and flour, clams, and half & half.
4. Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat to allow it to simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Now pour in the mixture of butter and flour into the chowder, then stir until it becomes thick (it has to be one cup heavy cream). If you don't get heavy cream, add little flour.
6. Remove from heat and stir until the heavy cream becomes smooth and blended in half & half. Take up the heat to a temperature fit for serving (ensure you don’t bring to a boil), then stir occasionally.
7. Once you have a slightly thick chowder, stir in the clams and your delicious homemade clam chowder is ready to be served with oyster crackers or bacon and fresh parsley.
Now you know what it takes to have the best clam chowder recipe. It all boils to having a fresh clam chowder recipe to kick-start the process. And if you have difficulty getting fresh clams of recipes to make delicious clam chowder, don’t hesitate to check out Newport Chowder Company for the best clam chowder
Who makes the best clam chowder?
We at Newport Chowder Company believe you make the best clam chowder. With our spices, you are on the way to create your own creation.
Who has the best New England clam chowder?
This is a tough one. Every restaurant has their own specialty they add into their clam chowder. Some of them will add old bay seasoning while others with just use salt and pepper. Clam juice - Making clam chowder - don't forget your cup all-purpose flour - recipe - chopped clams - bay seasoning - this will make your clam chowder 5 stars. Next time you are wanting clam chowder, please pick up a packet of Newport Chowder Spices, thank you so much. There are many cooks that love this recipe. Good clam chowder. Strips of bacon are key. made this recipe. years ago. added. delicious seafood chowder.