Muriel's Award-Winning Seafood Chowder Recipe
- ⅓ cup butter
- 1 small diced onion
- ⅓ lb. each chopped shrimp, scallops & scrod
- 10 small cooked & diced red bliss potatoes (or substitute two 15 oz cans of cooked diced potatoes)
- ½ gallon half & half
- 1 tsp. salt & ½ tsp. pepper
- 1 of Newport Chowder Company's "Secret Spice Pack"
- ¾ cup flour
- 1 ½ cups milk
- In a medium size skillet, saute butter and onion. Add the seafood and Newport Chowder Company's "Secret Spice Pack," cook for 3-5 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large pot combine half & half and potatoes, cook over medium heat.
- Put flour in a bowl and slowly add milk, whisking constantly to make a smooth paste.
- Add paste to large pot then add in seafood mixture.
- Continue to cook all ingredients over medium heat for approx. 20-25 minutes, stirring frequently until soup begins to thicken.
- DO NOT BOIL.
Total time: 40 minutes
Feel free to substitute any seafood in this recipe.
Wondering how Newport Chowder Company began? It's all thanks to Muriel back in 1985. Check out our story here.